wallpaper

Thursday, October 23, 2008

More weddings

This is Trevor and Brendan's Young Men President Stefano and Natalie's primary teacher, Itala.These two are so wonderful! We were so happy they finally saved up enough to get married in the temple--- they have been engaged for 3 years! Itala's mother is Peruvian and always speaks to Steve in Spanish. We've been invited over and she made all of Steve's favorite South American dishes (Cousa: mashed potatoes with tuna, egg, avacado and mayo; Pollo con peperoncino and this purple corn pudding that stained our lips so dark we looked Goth)
They tell us all the the time they want to be just like our family... we keep all our flaws covered tho, so they have no idea. But their wedding was beautiful.
We followed that wedding by another LDS couple in our ward: Norma & Daniele.
They have been engaged for over a year and didn't want to hold out until the Rome temple is completed (another 5 years?) So like everyone else they got married by our bishop and then made the 10 hour drive to Switzerland. Norma Calabrese speaks 5 languages fluently and got her degree in Arabic. She is amazingly intelligent and talented, and I wish her language ability rubbed off on me. Getting married at 25 is very young for an Italian woman. They usually wait until 40 to get married. But Norma has a good job at the Saudi Embassy, and they can afford to get a small apartment (most couples still have to live with their parents it's so expensive)
Norma's mother (below in the blue) is a hoot. They lived in London while Br. Calabrese was the mission President; hence, you can tell by the hat that she loves English Fashion.
Norma's new husband Daniele is kind but only speaks 2 languages and everyone thinks he got the better end of the deal. Steve always says people thought that about him too. Edna asked him how in the world he got me-- "charm and good looks," I told her. She looked at me skeptically. I told her, "anyone who can come with me into the science lab to work on a cadaver and not faint, who can show up just at the right time with a Big Gulp (Mt. Dew) and talk sensibly & sagaciously about architecture styles and art, who would sit through a long, sad French film even tho it was for my class, not his, and drive two hours to produce two tickets to the ballet because I mentioned in passing I wanted to go, is worth examining and has certain qualities for the long haul." She had to agree with me there-- it takes a man of substance to sit through an entire ballet. (One who can do that can sit through daughter's plays, sons' recitals and concerts and deal with sick kids who are crying and throwing up at either end). Love you Steve! No better soldier and friend than you to be in the fox holes with and battle life out. Thanks for watching the kids so I could go to Ilene's wedding. You are a man with many facets and abilties. You make me laugh, and I still admire your perspicacity (but one day I will beat you in Scrabble).

1 comment:

The Bastian's said...

How spoiled we are in Utah.Temples and devotionals from Genereal Athorities abound. Was I seven when we got a temple in Idaho?