wallpaper

Sunday, March 13, 2011

To dive for....

When you are surrounded by water, swimming is mandatory and scuba diving is, well, icing on the cake.
You only have to be 12 here to get certified. Natalie and her friend Isaac Hales passed the written test in flying colors.
So they went to do the next step, to pass off the diving requirements 30 feet down.
Because of the Tsunami and high surf that churned up the ocean floor, their teacher Jenn Cornielson took them to a protected cove called "Out house beach" that is behind the Piti Power Plant.
At this dive site you can actually find 1944 coke bottles that were thrown off naval ships. (We have 2 of these bottles.)
The kids were happy that there were no stinky outhouses anywhere or any candy bar shaped debris floating about. Jenn did tell them that if they pee in the ocean here, they will immediately get colder. Natalie didn't try it out, even for science :o)
Once again, they passed all the tests and now will finish their last class off a dive boat out in the middle of the ocean.
Natalie was fascinated with all the sea life swimming right next to her, the angel, parrot and trumpet fish. I love all the colorful fish here as well. I got to thinking, the only body of water I was in at Natalie's age was a the dirty drain ditch behind our farm, and the only fish I saw was the fishsticks from Schwan's. Some girls have all the luck....

1 comment:

MACYS said...

Awesome!!! J-P and I love diving!