wallpaper

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Going home

It's an enjoyable feeling heading home... especially after a long road trip!
We started in Alaska, moved to Washington, down into Oregon and finally to Idaho.
We loved the lakes along the way,
and the terraced vineyards
and "miss-try" tunnels
and funny rock formations,
but there was just something about reaching the Hells Canyon area at the Idaho-Oregon border and leaving the Columbia River behind and feeling that "home-base" of the Snake River.
To cement that feeling of home we met up with the Kelloggs and Bastians at a Mexican restaurant.
After a year of Italian food, the chips and dips were a welcome sight to the kids.


The next morning after breakfast at Griddles we headed north to raft the South fork of the Payette River.
After a quick bus ride and getting life jackets on we
got our paddles and lugged our rafts down to the river.
They put all the kids in one boat and the parents in the other.
We started off in class 2 rapids right off the bat. Last time we were rafting was in Indonesia we hit rough water and Steve got flipped out of the boat. I was remembering that and thinking "Oh no, hang on kids!"
But they were just laughing and loving it and doing the "Look mom, no hands" routine. (Brendan is on the front "riding the bull.")

Trevor trying his hand at riding the bull.

At one point it looked like we would be swallowed up by a wall of water in front of us or at least flipped out of the boat but we bounced back up. There was some screaming going on but it wasn't me.
Next it was off to the rope swing.
I ran to get my camera and only captured Brendan.
All the kids took a try and loved the swing.

"This was the funnest day ever! Why do we have to leave?"

Carly, Wade, Wyat, Wes, Trevor and Leslie all made it out of the river alive.



Creeper train


Leaving HorseshoeBend behind and heading north into Cascade.

Stopped and had dinner at the Cascade River
Surf and turf, steak and lots of rootbeer for this hungry bunch

"I think I broke my nail when we dove into the river..."
I didn't get the ball cap hat memo

Big Red.... Carly's "first car"



The dog's ran down the lane when we pulled up at Mom's place in Round Valley
Bacon Creek Rd...always a little improved when we visit. Mom was still trying to work with her arm in a sling even though she was in major pain.
Mom looked pretty good after her surgery
but she sure didn't recognize us. She had been talking to me for a good 10 minutes before it dawned on her who I was. I don't think she ever figured out who Steve was.
Natalie was a bit sad she couldn't ride the horse but at least got to pet the cow.

And have a ride on the 4 wheeler

Don told us he was still using oxygen at night for his broken ribs from the 30 ft fall from the tree and now on top of it, he had a pinched nerve in his leg...the lame helping the lame. What a pair.
Posing with mom....
Three generations... all hoping the one following them has a better life.

Steve was pacing and counting down until we could leave.

How many boys does it take to make a fire?

Only needs one girl to get it roaring
It was pretty chilly when the sun went down but with all the wood mom had stacked before her surgery, we could have had many campfires. Her stacking could hold up against any fiercely orderly German wood pile.

I went and tucked mom into bed. She was in so much pain that I felt horrible for her. It's a funny feeling when roles are reversed and you suddenly become the parent and your parent the child. We said our goodnight to Mom and Don and let the fire burn out and headed back down the mountain.
There's a saying along the lines 'that you can never go back home'... I mulled over this on the drive back to Kuna and thought: I guess it's true... as Ada and Canyon country have completely changed, our home on Amity has fallen down, and our place on Blackcat was sold, and the farm and Dad were gone forever.... but then I thought of all the fun I had with 4 of my 8 siblings Sid, Ryan, Dan & Athlyn, on this trip... and the year before with Jenn, Heidi, Christi and Ilene, and how being with them, no matter where we were, was returning "home." And their love I can always go back to.

2 comments:

Bastian Duo said...

Looks like a fun time!! Bummer that we had to miss out. Next time!!

Hunter Family said...

It looks like you guys had an amazing summer! Andy and I want to take an Alaskan cruise someday (when we're brave enough to leave the kids!) It looks like it was absolutely breathtaking!