A new cross country season has begun again with Trevor running for his second season for AOSR (4th season total with middle school)
His goal this year is a 5k in under 20 minutes. He is at 21 even and is getting there. While he is not a natural long distance runner, he is a natural leader. I hear him cheering on team mates when they are struggling up hills beside him, and his coach tells me he always finds ways to make the practice more palatable with songs or games while leading them in stretches, plyametrics or uphill sprints.
I love to look at runner's faces at the starting line. I always think a runner's face right before a race is what their face will express in any of life's emergencies... some runners will paste on a smile, some look like they will throw up or faint...
And others have a thoughtful expression as they calmly think through the adrenaline rush.

This is Trevor finishing the first race in Carney Park in Naples.
His second race he was unable to run as he was recovering from the flu. He cheered on his team mates nonetheless, and passed out the place sticks.

I love to look at runner's faces at the starting line. I always think a runner's face right before a race is what their face will express in any of life's emergencies... some runners will paste on a smile, some look like they will throw up or faint...
Next week it is off to Milan and the week after that 100 runners descend on Rome to race. I am panicking as I am the team mom and need to get water and refreshments to the park for all these runners. And last time, I was put in charge of also writing down everyone's race times. Too much pressure and room for error... If you could see my face at the begging of the race it would register pure PANIC.
No comments:
Post a Comment