wallpaper

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Oh baby baby

Bonnie Weaver, our resident party gal, decided to throw an American baby shower for Patrizia Vacarrono.... a lady that has a bad rep at church. They call her Mt. Vesuvius behind her back as she is a "volcano waiting to erupt" and no one wants to be around to be burned by the hot lava she spews. I had helped host a shower a few weeks earlier for a co-counselor that worked in primary with me and Bonnie felt it was unfair not to do one for Bonnie as well. She is more charitable than me...I still have burn marks.

Italians are very superstitious and believe that buying ANYTHING before the baby is born is bad luck. So baby showers are very new to them but they embraced and loved this party
Patrizia has 3 boys and is now excited to have a baby girl.

This is Bonnie and the Stake President's wife Lordona. She told me when I was taking this photo Sorella Moore "do not post this picture on Facebook !" I told her she looked great (she had a baby a few years ago and says she hasn't lost the weight and so photos are a no no) and so I got the go ahead.... tho she doesn't know she's in my blog as well.

This is my counselor Norma and her husband Daniele.... couldn't seem to get him to understand that showers are only for the woman.

Natalie's Sunday school teacher Itala is on the right and Sister Gillitia from Peru on the right.
This adorable mom and daughter are Karen and Stephanie Accerson. Karen and President Accerson have been serving out here for two years as Mission President. They have a daughter on a mission in Milan, another daughter in Japan and their youngest son, Scott, just graduated a week ago and checks himself into the MTC in July. He is called to "the best mission in the world" according to Steve: Catania, Italy. Steve goes down to his old mission stomping grounds for work quite often and he will take poor starving missionary Elder Scott Accerson out to eat.


So I was in charge of games and I had them play the one if they see anyone cross their ankles or say "baby" in any language they can take the baby rattle/bottle necklace from that person. Person who ends up with the most necklaces wins a prize. It got really competitive really fast.

In the meanwhile, I had them put a balloon on their head and in 10 seconds they had to blindly draw eyes, ears, mouth, nose and hair. Patrizia got to see their creations and pick the prettiest baby... a lot of one eyed, nose connected to mouth babies were not chosen.

I also had them play the tummy girth game by having them take as much toilet paper they thought it would take to make the circumference of Patrizia's belly.
The whole time, down and dirty necklace wars were going on....
The stake president's wife ending up winning this game. She noticed everything!
When we got to our ward three years ago there were no babies and now there are a half a dozen with two on the way. Very unique in a country where no one is having babies.
Bonnie made this cute diaper cake. They were upset there wasn't a real cake until I pulled out the coconut cake I made and the smiles came out. When Italians think something tastes good they put their finger to their cheek and say "buona." They nearly licked the pan clean. One of the three guys at the shower said to me in English "God bless America...land of the best desserts in the world." They gave me a new nickname "Sorella Dolcezza" which means sister sweet (they also call me sorella bella, sorella belli capelli...)
EARLIER SHOWER for Silvia
Silvia told me she had been feeling rather large so I had all the sisters put in a "baby bump" to make Silvia feel at ease when she came to her surprise shower.

Silvia was really surprised...she thought she was coming over to make a baby quilt (she showed up two hours late!)

I had them play "pin the bottle of the baby" and "baby bingo," easy enough... but I really grossed them out when I put baby food in a diaper and had them sniff it to see what fruit or veggie they thought it was.
Some could just not get over the idea that this was just a game.
I think the green peas sent them over the top...they gave me another nickname "sorella pazza" sister crazy....yep that's me. But they all laughed tho and had a good time.
The tiara and sash were a big hit. They all wanted me to order one for them... all woman like to have a crown on now and again.

This balloon in Norma's shirt looks pretty real. She has been married a year so she could technically be the next in line to be expecting. I won't be here to see it though....we will probably be living in TX. They said they will carry on the showers after I am gone.

This sister missionary asked me not to post this until after she was off my mission.... I kept my word. Her two years are up and she left for home last week. Now her mom will think this is funny.

It's funny how things pass between countries...we love their pizza and pasta and they love our desserts and parties... Ultimately we all love each other and no boundaries exist

2 comments:

Bastian Duo said...

Heard from a little bird that you all are finding out where the next move is going to be this week. Do you know yet?

Hunter Family said...

Great post! I loved that they had never been to a baby shower. What a fun "American" experience you were able to share with them!