I find I have a hard time letting go of things: empty wrapping paper tubes make great swords for the kids to play with; discarded Christmas boxes are great for mailing upcoming birthday gifts to siblings; left over turkey makes great tetrazzini; and those piles of simmering anger, and self disrespect I've held onto for the past, I do know, 30+ years, make fabulous metal weights to work me out at night when I can't sleep.
While I know, that the 3rd attempt to use up turkey left overs is stretching it: turkey pot pie, turkey hash, fried rice with turkey.... I can't seem to get out of the waste-not-want-not mindset that it's better to use it all up than discard it. So my family moans and complains and attempts to gag it all down the days following holidays, and then I end up with a fridge full of even more uneaten food and I get more frustrated. Why can't I just cut ties in the beginning, toss the offending bird and start over fresh? Alas, knowing something and actually doing something about it are miles apart: like CA to FL.
Being fully aware of this particularly irritating gopher habit of mine---my unrelenquishing grip of "things," packing my cheeks full, squirreling away things for later, I decided this year I quit! No more will I hold onto my skinny jeans just in case I finally take off that infernal 10 lbs, or carry around the backpack of grievances from childhood. NO MORE will I store anymore of my pet grudges or unrealistic expectations. I'm tired of shelving and dusting them off, and trying to cover them up and make them into edible self-image spaghetti. Truth be told I hate spaghetti.
This year I choose to clean out my fridge early, take out the garbage often and finally bask in the lightness of it all. This year I choose to forgive myself and others the first day. I choose to not let ANYTHING ferment, OR Saran wrap it up to deal with later . This year I intend to waste! I will throw away the baggage, the piles of "intended for later" and will toss out the guilt, the grudge the ooey-gooey got you down once and for all!
Man, I feel better already. Now can anyone unbury me, unstuff my cheeks and help me climb out of this garbage dumpster....the turkey kinda reeks....
2 comments:
Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just take our "baggage" to the airport and let the airlines lose it for us! Happy New Year!
You go girl! I can hear the passion in your writing, your ready for a change! You are a very good writer by the way! I am excited for you, this is going to be a great year. By the way-it will be an even better year if you pick Boise! :)
Post a Comment