wallpaper

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Basic Training: not your average summer camp

This is the general schedule for the new Air Force Cadets during Basic Training:
0430 Reveille (AM - Yikes!)
0430 - 0700 PT and Breakfast
0700 - 1630 T
orture, a.k.a. team competitions, obstacle & assault courses
1630 - 1830 Dinner and Honor training
1830 - 1900 Transit
1900 - 2000 Optional Chapel
2000 - 2100 Hygiene
2100 TAPS

All those 4:30 am loud horns and shouts to roust from bed are showing up on Trevor's face. To say he 'looks a bit tired ' is probably an understatement.
Here he is waiting for food. They make the cadets eat in ridiculous ways: simultaneously or with right angels to their mouth or they will get hollered at. (forget about spilling your milk-- doubt you'd live to tell the tail)
I have no idea what they are doing here... changing their bed sheets? (Trevor is 2nd in line)
Millions of group pushups. We can always tell where Trevor is because he has great 'straight as a board' form drilled into him from wrestling and ROTC (Trevor's in push up form under the guy standing with the blue barrette). We don't know why they have to do pushups over people. They are doing this in lots of pictures. (Can't wait to pick Trevor's brain in August when we can talk to him)
This is PT. They compete in intramural sports and field competitions. Trevor's team the Black Interceptors came in second for the field day competitions.
Sweating out in the sun in formation. I know he is dying for his sunglasses.
I somehow doubt they were watching Harry Potter in this movie theater.

A few cadets are given letters to read while the rest just wait until their turns-- sometimes a few days latter. You can write Trevor a letter at:
Basic Cadet Trevor Moore
P.O. Box 1518
USAF Academy, CO 80841
I look at Trevor and think my baby is grown up. He looks 25 here and wiser to the world. (Sigh)
Nice to see Trevor smile but I still cringe at the buzz. I can't get pass the concentration camp look.
I wish he was writing home here. No such luck.
Sitting with two hands on his knees-- it's how I can pick him out of the crowd.... that and his dark eyebrows( So glad they don't buzz those as well!)
Cheering team mates on in Jacks Valley during the obstacle courses
Oh the nasty altitude. Hope he has gotten past the lungs burning, coming from sea level.
Squadron 36 Interceptors Team 4 (Trevor is in the back row, 5th from the right side)
We have found that Trevor is surrounded in photos by the International cadets, those from Singapore and Korea when they are not required to be in formation. We have always wondered if living overseas has helped or hindered our kids. I would like to think that living away from the US has made him sensitive to "outsiders" and makes him gravitate to those who don't know the language or just don't fit in. Trevor is a kind soul, and I hope he would help and befriend anyone no matter where they call home.

Basic Training camp sounds like torture... but like all summer camps, as parents we hope our child learns:
--to be a good friend
--life skills bigger than crawling in the dirt
--gratitude for parents
--keep his head down but his spirits high
and most of find out exactly what he is made of !  

No comments: