Afterwards we were invited to pranzo (lunch) at the home of one of the most famous shopkeepers in Deruta named Lucca. He is an incredible cook and nearly did us in with 7 plates of food. He made antipasti which were panini of prosciutto and cheese and pizza bianca with sage. Then he served pasta bolognese, followed up with egg noodles and olive oil and grated tartufo, (mushroom) on top, followed by roast cooked in a salt bath, followed by grilled lamb, chicken and sausage, followed by spinach and other vegetables (I hate cooked spinach but this was superb and made a believer out of me), And the zipper buster, dessert, was zuppa inglese which is basically a trifle.
I have never been so FULL in my whole life. I kept saying "piccolo" and "no grazie" but Lucca didn't listen and kept piling food on everyones plate. He really thought I was bizzare as I didn't drink the wine. It's so unItalian not to drink vino everyday.
This is the "after" shot. We are smiling through the discomfort. It really was an INCREDIBLE meal tho. The whole conversation, 2 1/2 hours, around the table was in Italian. And surprisingly I could understand alot of the conversation (maybe Italians speak slower when they are eating?) Carrina, the gal in the zebra print kept asking me to translate. But she'd had 6 glasses of wine so anything I told her, correct or not, sounded like I knew what I was talking about....
"The Girls" wanted to stop at a well known vineyard called Chiorri 20 minutes from Deruta to buy some wine. The vines were just blooming in the spring weather and looked gorgeous (this photo doesn't do it justice). I bought a bottle of Merlot for cooking (Lucca made his Bolognese sauce with this red wine).
4 comments:
OHHHH- I SO want to come and visit.
The red and white table and lamp are gorgeous. Sounds like you had a lovely day.
What a great girls trip....I agree with Jenn love the Red and white table......I am partial to Red thou.
Wow, your day sounded incredible!! How fun that you can have days like that. I want the red and white table too!!! :) Love it! Love you!
Post a Comment