While following the senate through the portico, Cesare was fatally stabbed 23 times, even by his friend Brutus. The single blow to the heart was the one that killed him.
This wasn't the first time he had been betrayed. His friend and son-in-law Pompey married to his daughter Julia, also "stabbed him in the back" years earlier. When Cesare was fighting alongside his troops in Gaul, modern day Provence in France, Pompey had the Senate revoke Cesare's title as Governor of Gaul. Pompey demanded that Cesare surrender his troops (despite his brilliant campaigns) and come back to Rome and surrender his title as combined leader of Rome. Cesare refused to surrender his troops and went to Rome to battle his former son-in-law, Pompey, who abandoned Cesare's daughter Julia. Pompey was a great general but his troops were not veteran's like Cesare's. When Julius Cesare crossed the river Rubicon and headed for Rome, Pompey and his men fled to Egypt. Pompey was killed by Egyptians and his head was brought before Cesare in a basket. (This is the part I love.... the measure of a great man) Even tho Pompey had betrayed him, Julius refused to look at the head and wept for his friend and son-in-law. He did not want Pompey killed despite all Pompey did to discredit and defame him. (The ironic thing is Cesare died in Pompey's theater)
There is a History Channel exhibition on Cesare in Rome right now, and I toured the exhibit for 3 hours and left completely enthralled with Cesare. He was not only brave and loved his soldiers (they loved him in return), he truly embodied the Christian virtue of loving your enemies. More than himself, Cesare loved Rome and the people there and wanted the Romans to be the leading European empire. He took the taxes off the farmers. He gave land to fathers with more than three children so they could make a living. He made sure his soldiers had a pension after returning home injured from battle. Cesare being from a poor family understood the needs of the people. So as it's Friday the 13th AND the middle of the month you are forewarned to beware of killer blogs bearing too many details. Bravo if you made it this far without piercing pain in the brain and dying from too much info.
3 comments:
Hey! It's Poppleton. You guys look great! I dont know how to leave a message on here so here is my email. popps15@gmail.com. In case you haven't heard I finally got married, and it was with a girl! (even I was beginning to wonder). Send me your email and I'll get you some pics. I miss you all. See ya. Chris. a.k.a Elder Poppyton.
I love your history lessons. No wonder you were an amazing seminary teacher.
Ha Ha! I also love the history lessons, keep them coming!
Post a Comment