wallpaper

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Flexing some muscle....

Trevor, a sophomore this year, had this quirky smile upon learning the news that he was the new Captain of the AOSR wrestling team! He was really happy because a month prior he had a scare because we told him he couldn't wrestle until we found out what was causing the painful lump next to his breastbone. (We took him in to get a sonogram to see what was the problem. Turns out it was some cartilage that had come loose during some trauma-- lifting weights, messing around with friends, running in the rain with a one strap backpack, gym bag and guitar case all strapped to his chest---who knows.) He is taking his role as Captain very seriously and puts in a lot of time working with every wrestler on perfecting their moves. Last year his coach gave him an award for being the heart of the team. First in to set up the mats and last out after he rolled up the mats and always working as hard as he could in every task while encouraging fellow wrestlers along the way. Trevor threw me some poses and I had a flashback of my brothers flexing their well defined teenage muscles. It also brought to mind this photo of dad as a young teenager (I love it that Dad has some girl's ring on a chain around his neck and is flexing his abs. Seems funny to think of Grandma Bastian taking this photo with Barry's britches so low you can see his iliopsoas or "Marky Mark hip muscle")
Now all I need is a shot now of Ryan and Payload Paxton posing and Sid & Wade to tie in the Bastian boy generations. (Hindsight is always 20/20--- Dan, Ryan and Sid were all looking buff at Ilene's wedding, I should have had them compete for Mr. Universe and show off their Bi's, tri's and delt's. ) So next summer, the friendly competition will commence.

Brendan also tried out for the team this year. He is in 8th grade, middle school, so he can go with the high school team and wrestle exhibition matches but can't officially wrestle until next year.
So I get to see them trying out "moves" all over the house (double leg take downs, half Nelsons, switches, "sit out Peterson's" and on and on. Like two bulls locking heads all the time.)
I constantly hear crashes all over the apartment as they slam into things. I've decided we should just clear everything out of the boys' rooms and just put down rubber mats and add a cage in the corner. Now more than ever I see why you need sports or farm work to help blow off steam and burn off excessive testosterone levels. I'm sure Dan & Sarah would happily oblige to play Sheila and have some rocks moved from place A to place B at their new house this next summer!

No comments: