At a certain point, young men get tired of hoofing it every where. They want their own wheels to get around and want to catch up with their peers. (Trevor is the 3rd guy running)
In Italy Trevor couldn't get a license, so when he got to Guam, he finally got his Driver's Permit. He felt far behind everyone else who had their licenses for a year or two.
He put in his 50 hours and passed the written test. At exactly required 6 month date, we stood in line at the DMV (for hours) for a driving test appointment. The waiting list was another 8 months just to take the driving test! We name dropped government employees, tried to leverage with Steve's position, and finally I just flat out begged. The man took pity on Trevor who was leaving for Basic Training and gave him an appointment for a week later.
We spent more time perfecting parallel parking and driving in reverse. No surprise he passed with flying colors.
With license in hand, he immediately hopped in his truck to meet up with friends
He cranked the new Pioneer stereo he and his dad installed in his '95 Ford RangerAnd I got the classic look that I have seen over the years (from my boy learning to walk, to ride a bike, to going on a date) that says "Step away--I'm on my own now mom"
The funny thing that in the past, I did move away and gave him space to grow and stand on his own 2 feet.
But this time, he backed away and left me on my own 2 feet. And I wondered if I could do this gracefully, let him drive away without tears on my face.
Nope--the tears came but after checking my skinned up heart for signs of wounds, I realized after a deep breath that I was okay. This was my test to see if I could find balance, like a child riding a bike for the first time, and while wobbly, I could move away on my own without my child holding me up.

No comments:
Post a Comment