wallpaper

Thursday, May 12, 2011

"There's no crying in baseball"

Natalie, #40, tried out for Third Base in Softball this year. She had some stiff competition. One of the other 3rd baseman trying out had a mother who played softball for 15 years and continued in college and was bound and determined to keep her daughter at 3rd base. Natalie held her own through and proved she could take some hits, even had ball stitching embedded in her chin, but and she never shed a tear and didn't quit despite pain and competition breathing down her neck. I was so impressed that she knew what she wanted and wasn't going to let anyone or anything get in her way.The second game of the season, Natalie tagged out two of St. Paul's players on Third. Her team was cheering like crazy for her. They won this game by 1 run in overtime. (Nat's playing to the right of 3rd base in the photo above and on first base in photo below after a hit)

The coach is telling them not to get cocky.

Natalie started again this past Saturday on 3rd base. I could see the other mother had steam coming out her ears. But Natalie proved herself to the coach in games and practice; she even missed the school dance to attend softball practice and the coach rewarded Natalie.
Natalie impressed at the game by catching fly balls, tagging out girls and making it to base to send other runners home.

Natalie safe on 2nd base and 3rd base. They can't steal in her middle school league.
You will notice that the other team has actual uniforms. Our poor rag tag Navy team has left over volleyball uniforms. But what we lack in grace we make up in grit. I loved that film "True Grit" because it was such"girl power" movie. As I watched Natalie on the field, it was reconfirmed to me that she possesses the spirit of grit-- she will finish anything in life that she starts out to do. This mother did some crying during baseball.

3 comments:

Whitings said...

Natalie, way to go! You are a women after my own heart. Katherine, I love that line from Tom Hanks, "there is no crying in baseball":) I have fond memories of us there in Plano at the elementary school and then your work team that we played on. I love, love, love, playing!

MACYS said...

It's okay for the mom's to cry, but not the kids!:) That true grit runs long and deep in our blood, you are looking at yourself out there! You have taught her well! Way to go Nat!!!! You are a tough chic!

Bastian Duo said...

Nice job Natalie!! Like Jen said you are a woman after my own heart. Softball has been my thing since I was a little girl!! You have to be tough to play that sport!!