What am I doing in a dress with 3o ft. ladder? Just securing glow in the dark virtues (from the 13th Article of Faith) on star decorations for the Youth Dance. We wanted a Church Prom for all the youth who aren't 16 yet, not old enough to date, and couldn't go to School Prom.


This is the Stake YW Presidency (above) and the Ward Presidencies (below) Yes, I am in both... but it's economy of motion most times.


Different times throughout the night I had the DJ call out a virtue like "Honest" or "True" or "Chaste" and the youth standing beneath that star, got a glow necklace. They also were given markers to make stars on each others hands when they danced with someone new. We were pleased to see constellations all over their hands and arms.

This is Brendan and a cute friend named Natasha.

Of course I had to get out on the dance floor and do the Macarena with the youth.

Just like Cinderella turns into a princess for a night, YW leaders turn 14 again during youth dances.


After a couple hours our feet start to kill and Cinderella turns back into a mom..."How much longer before this is over?"

My friend Jacqueline decided we needed to dance with our sons, and her son Jonathan asked me to dance. It was funny because Brendan was next to me dancing and afterwards he protectively said 'Why did you let Jonathan put his hand on your hip?" I had to chuckle, I guess he expected me to slow dance just standing there moving in circles and not touching :0)

I have my prepared "spiritual thought" in hand. I wanted the youth to remember that while Hollywood Stars play pretend roles, these youth had real roles they are STARING in to help usher in the Savior. And to always try to develop STAR qualities like "benevolence, virtue, doing good to all men." I think the most rewarding thing as a Youth leader is to see these LDS Youth actually posses these moral virtues. The youth thanked us many times for such a fun dance. (Which makes all the meetings, food preparation, decorating, etc. all worth it)

These two Filipina sisters (Sister Hidalgo and Sister Valiente) had really high heels on, and I was still towering over them. But what they lack in physical height they make up for in spiritual height. They are so wonderful and serve so faithfully.

These are our Barrigada Ward YW. Most our YW are age 12 and 13, so they couldn't attend the dance, (have to be 14-18). Even Natalie couldn't come because she didn't turn 14 until 10 days later. She was a good sport about it though.

I think for the first time ever, I saw more Young Men and Young Women at the dance. Even if there weren't enough dance partners around, everyone danced.

We went for healthy snacks and not surprisingly they devoured everything-- broccoli and all.

Clean up was pretty easy. The YM were great help. I didn't have to climb a single ladder.
Brendan finished off the night posing with his two best girls-- Mom

and pretty Natasha. Brendan turns 16 May 11th and you know who he will be asking out that weekend.

He already has stars in his eyes looking at her. Fingers crossed she will say "Yes."
3 comments:
Katherine your ideas are amazing! You need to have a blog with all your ideas on it, so all can enjoy and recreate your amazing activities! You look gorgeous of course. Natasha is a cute girl, better yet LDS.
My fingers are crossed! She is so cute! Good Luck Brendan, not like you need it!
Kath, you look marvelous darling! Great work with the dance and the success that it was, you are amazing! Brendan, you're a stud, she'll totally say, "YES!!!!"
Post a Comment