Steve really impressed me. He has always been a great problem solver/repair guy, but he has truly earned his Handyman Merit Badge. He charged up his drill and put a peep hole for me so I could see who was at the door (paranoia left over from Rome on my part.) He fixed leaky (ok more like gushing) bathtubs and improperly wired circuit breakers. He calmed me down after we found termites had eaten the wood at the base of my kitchen window, put in weather stripping to keep geckoes, grasshoppers and heat out, and put in shelves as I wrung my hands due to lack of storage space inside.

Our hydraulic hinges on the cupboards seized up. He searched all the hardware stores and no one carried these. So he drilled holes and installed new hinges so I didn't smack my head on every half open cupboard door.
The garage had no shelves either, and because he knows I hate a messy garage, he installed heavy duty shelves so I could overload them Katherine style with Christmas bins, camping gear, dive gear, chairs and golf clubs.....you name it.
So now I can get my car in the garage. Happy Day!! (The other side of the garage can be the boys workout room with weights and benches and the elliptical machine that won't fit in the house.)
(It needs tidying but it will have to wait until after Christmas decorations come down)
For the backyard, he bought Trevor and Brendan a little used Ford Ranger so they could quit their city boy ways and haul debris. He wanted them to sweat out in the sun and get callouses from shovels and rakes -- not just from lifting weights at the gym. They have been good sports. While all the neighbors used companies to cut out all the weeds and vines the boys just used their muscles.
They made a 5 ' x 15 'pile of jungle debris over a 3 week period between sports and homework.
Side yard BEFORE
Side yard AFTER. Steve leveled, seeded the lawn and we have the first buds of grass growing! (Lots of weeds too--that will be a continual work in progress.) Work never ends but it is satisfying on an elemental level to see progress after gallons of sweat. I am proud of my dirty grimly husband and sons. Now I just need them to tackle washing the windows that are 30 feet off the ground and dig holes in the limestone underneath the dirt for me to plant shrubbery and palm trees. I can hear the groans already.
7 comments:
Amazing! Great work! Your house is too cute.
Kath, I love this post! I love seeing you out there working with your family and the before and after are AMAZING! Nice job! You make me hope that I can be as close to my kids and be a great example like yourself. You are a great example to me! Thanks, Whit
WOW you guys have ben working hard!!! Love your new home!!
Love the new house! You guys have been working like crazy. I can't wait til we have a house to fix up.
I love your house, it's so charming! I appreciate a Spanish style homestead! You guys are troopers working out in that humidity stomping through the sticks and grass. Great work! It looks fantastic and can't wait to see what's coming! How fun for you guys to own a home after all this time! It's wonderful!
I forgot to give Steve props for making your life a little easier by installing hinges, fans and shelving!
Way to go bro! I can call Steve that because he is!:)
It's awesome that people don't know your farm background and then you go out to your backyard and start throwing shovels around. I can hear the neighbors,"Pretty American girl can do dirty yard work and well?"
I love your new place! Thanks for posting the pictures, it is nice to see where you live. I can't believe the before and after, you worked really hard.
Post a Comment