wallpaper

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

New form of fear for Halloween

Celebrating Halloween when your kids turn into teenagers becomes a strange animal. The kids were busy with activities, and to my dismay no one was around to attend Trunk or Treat at church, carve a pumpkin or make a single cookie. (Not having our household goods contributed to this as well.) It just felt bizarre and scary that my kids are growing up and putting away childhood activities. At least Natalie's friend had a party and she did Trick or Treat on base with her friend MacKenzie. Natalie was a cute pirate. Next year she will be a Freshman in High School, and I hope she still wants to dress up to celebrate Halloween.So, in an attempt to make a new tradition for Halloween, we went to Jeff's Pirates Cove in Talofofo (the southern end of the island) to have lamb pitas and burgers.
At least Jeff still likes to dress up....

And there was a "scary" Halloweenish skull on the ceiling behind their heads and branded on the burgers.

This was as close as I got the boys to getting "dressed up," by posing by pirates. Notice no one is smiling here ('cept me behind the camera). Natalie refused to pose in her pirate costume and ran away. Sigh.
At least I got a grin when I said if they would just smile once, I wouldn't take any more pictures.
Next year for Halloween, Trevor will be at the AF Academy. I don't know if they even pause to celebrate in any shape or form. Maybe to celebrate he will be cleaning the latrines with a toothbrush or putrid trash cans with a Brillo pad --something really spooky and gross. It made me a bit sad to think this was an end of one of the chapters of the book of his childhood. Oh the scary things we mothers have to deal with-- (SCREAM heard here!)

1 comment:

Amy Pearson said...

They dont if I remember from when Corey was there. We sent him a scary goodie box. I am thankful that here in San Diego the church kids go trunk or treating still. My oldest went this past year (I forgot to get the camera) at 15. Our ward is so AWESOME here. They do a huge family thing. A chili cookoff multi ward thing. Then after the trunk or treating there is usually some type of dance. We really miss Guam though. Right now hubby is working as a GS13 doing almost the same thing as when he retired in August.