wallpaper
Monday, August 2, 2010
Moving in Italy
If I had to pick a word, it would be Tinkertoys..... that would be the word I would use to describe the contraption they use to lower our wrapped and boxed household goods out the window, down the balcony, into the wooden containers and onto the truck.
It is hard to see, but there is a tiny silver pole that reaches from that base up two floors to our balcony.
The movers lowered the piano and the 1 ton Ifit wood entertainment center down on that wobbley platform. Seemed like the whole neighborhood came out to watch that feat (except me, I couldn't watch! I was sure someone would get squashed and maimed at the bottom)
It was only supposed to take three days, but workers showed up late or not at all and the truck with the containers took 4 hours to show up.... so it took a whole week to move us. This is the final load, our car. It will get driven into a container and put onto a boat and sometime by Halloween or early November, it hopefully will show up by boat.
During those months that we live out of a suitcase, we realize how much we really don't need things. Once when we stayed in a cabin in Germany that wasn't much wider than twice the width of Steve's armspan, and Steve said, I think I could happily live in something this small. (Ok I wouldn't go that far, as a teenager we did live in a tiny 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom house in Idaho with 9 children- with six of us girls always trying to curl our hair in our tiny alloted small spot in the mirror, and we were always in each others way). But the older I get, and the more I learn to live without possessions, I realize less is more and I can do without. OK, everything but shoes. I need those.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment