wallpaper

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spring Break in Holland

There is a little child in all of us that needs to run free in fields of flowers
It happens to big and little children alike
Since I was a little girl I wanted to do just this: be surrounded by flowers in the fields and smell the heavenly scent. Knowing this, Steve planned a wonderful vacation soI could live out my dream of visiting fields of flowers in the Netherlands (These hyacinths smelled so good!)

Surprisingly the guys they started off the day in good spirits
We drove to Keukenhof, where they plant 6 million bulbs every year.

Kids tried out the wooden shoes.

It was warm and sunny--the perfect day to wander around 39 acres and catch "tulipmania" fever


There was even a fun petting zoo with all the newly born animals



This was a real working windmill behind Natalie.
We had to make an ice cream stop as the thrill was starting to wear off
From google earth you can see the colored fields. These are yellow daffodils. It was an especially cold winter and it delayed the blooming of the red Tulips, white narcissi and violet hyacinths . If we were two weeks later this would have been a rainbow.

We took a climb up into this grain mill that was built in 1829
I thought these "chairs" were clever. Pitch forks with backs. Mom needs these on her logs beside the camp fire.

They had glass and shrubbery mazes scattered throughout the park as well.



I am on cloud nine and I look up
and see....
" the can we go already" look....







On our way back we stopped by the seaside to see Noordwijk and the sand dunes





3 comments:

MACYS said...

Gorgeous! love all the pretty little flowers! Nice to hear from you again, you were gone for a spell!

Bastian Duo said...

It's like a magical flower land. Every picture is a post card. We have lots of dandilions in nampa.

Whitings said...

Kath, I love the pic of you smelling the flowers.

If you all wanted to try on some large shoes you should've tried on Curtis's!:)