I was prepared to be amazed-- after all, these 9 temples in Southern Sicily were touted to be the "finest classical remains outside Greece" and a UNESCO World Heritage Site to boot.
When we arrived in Agrigento, we had to climb the hill to the Temple of Concordia like ancient Greeks would have done to worship, and I was floored! The doric columns were 23 feet high and have been standing for 2500 years!!!

The
crepidoma or stepped base was taller than me



The Greeks always build their temples on a hillside so it can be seen from the ocean

I don't know if I could say the scenery or the temples were more impressive. Man and God's hand made two creations that were astounding together.


This inner room is called a
cella. The Christians who came came through here after the Carthaginians attacked turned this Pagan temple into a church for a time.


You can see the modern city in the background--not half as impressive as the ancient world.


On the next ridge was the ruins of the temple of Juno or Hera the goddess of Fertility, matrimony and childbirth.


Just 25 of the original 34 columns remain.

Steve climbed all over this 20 plus years ago as a missionary. Unfortunately it was blocked off. Tho it didn't stop some crazy people from ignoring the barricade and climbing in. Guess they had the Greek philosophy that the temples were "built for eternity" but like the Greeks they lived like "there was no tomorrow or no
consequences."
This ancient Olive tree could probably tell a lifetime of stories if it could speak

We made our way over to the Temple of Hercules that had been destroyed by the Carthaginians who burned it and and Byzantines settlers who dismantled it.


The golden sandstone columns would have been covered by glazed marble stucco

Posing as one of the caryatid columns holding up the pediment


We walked on and found this area across a modern road. This cool colosseus giant is called a Telamones

These figures would have held up the pediment and made a temple over 100 feet tall

It looked like the Michelin Man


This is all that is left of the temple of Castor and Pollux, the twin sons of Zeus

Cattle were sacrificed here



There was column debris everywhere.
Somehow it escaped me to take a photo of the twins Pete and Steve here

Everyone was hungry so we headed into modern Agrigento to eat an authentic meal from the sea nearby. We had fresh octopus, squid and mussels. I am not usually a fan but this fresh food was pretty darn good. It was the perfect way to finish off a perfect day.

1 comment:
Um, I don't know if I could eat that food. The columns are magnificent, you should have become a history teacher better yet an art history teacher. How I loved art histroy. You are one adventurous family.
Post a Comment