And did I mention that when we got there at midnight it was as bright as noon! The sun never really set. Brendan is complaining here that he has to go to bed with the sun still up.
We had a huge fireplace at the place we rented but thankfully it was a balmy 50 degrees in mid July so we didn't have to light it!

To combat the 26 hour jet lag (from Rome to Munich, to Chicago to Anchorage) we hit the coastal trail to see the wildlife. We were told that every year people get mauled by bears, and charged and stomped by moose that run freely in the city so we were on high alert (ok so only I was)
We learned on the hike not to get anywhere near these beckoning mud flats. Apparently you step one foot in them and sink faster than in quicksand, and because they are situated in a glacial fjord, the tidal current is the fastest in the world--- and so if the mud didn't smother you, the sea water would drown you before help could arrive. Captain James Cook came through here to try to find a Northwest Passage and had to turn around because of the mudflats, so this inlet is called Turnagain Arm. Well we took the hint and "turned" from them.

We came across lots of wild berries everywhere...and where there's berries there are bears...
I was lagging behind taking pictures and noticed everyone was getting away fom me.
And then they took off...course I'm thinking....great I've fallen into the classic blunder.... you don't have to outrun the bear--you just have to outrun the slowest person in your group...which meant I would be the bear's squeaky toy to gnaw on.
But turns out they were just father/son bonding tryring to figure out if a 40 yr old father is still faster than a 14 yr old teenager

I caught up to them in what looked like a snowy field
Not sure what this cottony plant is but it dusted everything like a carpet of snow. I was just glad it wasn't September or it would have been the real stuff

Natalie spotted this cute bumble bee and then looked up

and spotted this super scary bee nest that had bees everywhere...ok this time I took off running.

Mid run I noticed something was eating the bark off the trees all around us. Natalie called out excitedly and I stopped in my tracks.
Kinda cool, yet unnerving looking around and seeing a moose staring you down.
She didn't look too mean but I decided not to push my luck.


We saw a bull moose lounging 50 feet from this sign
The rack on this Bullwinkle had to be nearly 4 feet across...I have no idea how they can hold their heads upright.
He got tired of us snapping the camera and moved on

The next day we picked up Trevor at the airport. He flew in from OK from his Intensive Wrestling Camp. He was leaner and tired! (He had to run a half marathon before he could be released from camp.) But he was game for taking a hike at Eagle River Preserve
This place was 30 minutes outside Anchorage and absolutely gorgeous. There happened to be an uphillrace here on the main trail so we took off on a side path.
We had the place to ourselves...we never came across another person
This was a beaver watching deck
We could see the dam but no beavers

But we did spot
this elusive, rarely sighted, semi grin Trevor squirrel.
Wwe went further into the forest and the mosquitoes came out with a vengeance.
The river had overflowed its banks
and made everything muddy and swampy so it was a breeding ground for the pesky insects

We came to a very lush part of the woods and hoped they'd leave us but they redoubled their biting.
Brendan didn't seem to be overly bothered with them near the end of the hike,
To combat the 26 hour jet lag (from Rome to Munich, to Chicago to Anchorage) we hit the coastal trail to see the wildlife. We were told that every year people get mauled by bears, and charged and stomped by moose that run freely in the city so we were on high alert (ok so only I was)
We came across lots of wild berries everywhere...and where there's berries there are bears...
I caught up to them in what looked like a snowy field
Natalie spotted this cute bumble bee and then looked up
and spotted this super scary bee nest that had bees everywhere...ok this time I took off running.
Mid run I noticed something was eating the bark off the trees all around us. Natalie called out excitedly and I stopped in my tracks.
We saw a bull moose lounging 50 feet from this sign
The next day we picked up Trevor at the airport. He flew in from OK from his Intensive Wrestling Camp. He was leaner and tired! (He had to run a half marathon before he could be released from camp.) But he was game for taking a hike at Eagle River Preserve
but Natalie was being swarmed. Trevor picked her up and starting running with her .
My camera didn't catch the black swarm after them. Trevor created a great diversion and made Natalie laugh which took her mind off the ear buzzing and biting.
The next day we checked out and loaded suitcases and kids in the car....you can only see Trevor's knees he was completely buried under the Samsonite
Natalie didn't have much more space but they made the best of it.
We took this ghetto bus to the cruise ship to Seward. It was an old Advantage shuttle painted over... the windows rattled and the driver going crazy fast in the rain and the people around me where gripping their seats and looking alarmed. I think they would have rahter taken their chances on the mud flats instead.
2 comments:
Beautiful pictures!! We are definately going to have to go there.
It looks like you had a great time!I like the pic of Trevor, especially the one of him with Nat on his shoulder. The smile on her face speaks volumes. I love your family outings! I'm seeing the world through you, thanks!
Post a Comment