wallpaper

Thursday, July 9, 2009

It's all in the technique...

Trevor and a suitcase full of sweaty gym clothes are in Oklahoma this week at John Smith's wrestling Camp at OSU. This is a camp for serious wrestlers as John Smith was a 4-time World Champion, 2-time Olympic Games champion, and is currently the head coach of wrestling at OSU. It is a really rigorous program.
The boys are out running at 6 am and have live wrestling and instruction until 9 pm.
I like the philosophy of the camp as they teach that wrestling is not a sport of brute strength or isolated holds. But, it's about having a systematic approach to maximize effective moves.
Alot of their emphasis is on learning takedown techniques, leg attack set-ups and finishing strong

While we are excited for all this training, and that this can help Trevor's chance to be European champion... I'm not so happy about the prospect of turning into Kuna Coach Gormley and playing ref at home everynight.... and Brendan, first year wrestler who didn't go to camp, is not so excited about replacing the poor guy under Trevor in this picture. Payload Pax--get out your singlet and get ready to rumble!

4 comments:

Bastian Duo said...

Trevor- Is camp like I still remember it? Sleep, eat, wrestle, eat, wrestle, eat while going to the bathroom, wrestle, eat, sleep.

Jen B said...

Way to go Trevor! I wouldn't want to be Brendon either. Sid gave me plenty opportunites to be in that position, I especialy remember being there when Sid had chicken pocs. I had them one week later!:)

Christi Macy said...

Does Trevor ever try to take down Steve? Did Steve ever wrestle?
Way to go Trevor!!! He looks like a Bastian out there!

The Bastian's said...

Sarah you forgot shower...4, every day! Just kidding Trevor!
I am trying to get payload into classes this spring. Wish us luck!!