wallpaper

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

OIR (Only in Rome)

Sorry, I apologize upfront for the crassness of this... Everyday in Rome when we walk down the sidewalks, these are the doggie landmines we have to avoid. I thought I was the only idiot who somehow manages to look up at the wrong time & steps into these, but yesterday I saw a Roman dragging his shoe and cussing, trying to scrape off the gooey mess. In January there was supposed to be stiffer penalties for owners not picking up the doggie doo but alas Romans view rules as something to flout.
A couple months back I looked out my window and saw a man peeing in our piazza in the middle of the day, when kids are running around. Now we see this all the time on the freeway, cars are always pulled over, and you'll see a row of guys urinating, but on the sidewalk in the center of town this is uncommon, unless you're a dog. So then yesterday afternoon, this mom pulls her sons pants down right in front of us on the sidewalk by our palazzo and lets her son pee. I know now where Bill Watterson, the Calvin & Hobbes creator, gets his ideas.

10 comments:

Hunter Family said...

That's funny. Why do Europeans pee all over the place? At least in Amsterdam they have little walls that they can go behind to pee. You just have to step over the little streams going down the side walks!

Moore Family said...

I guess it's lack of bathrooms & the convenience factor. When we were in Versailles they told us that "spectators" watching Louis XVI eat supper, would urinate right in the Palace on the floor! Marie Antoniette said for all their "culture' in Paris they were still barbaric.

Bastian Duo said...

Wow, I have three dogs and we carry plastic bags to pick up the loads. RUDE That is so funny about seeing lines of guys on the road, that is un-heard of here.

Darlene Moore said...

Ok... we go from gorgeous flowers and statues, bread that looks so good you can smell it to dog doo! Man, you know how to ruin a good read! LOl

Moore Family said...

Just keeping it real... if you pause to look at flowers, inevitably you step in gooop.

Darlene Moore said...

but hopefully the flowers would cover the smell!!

Darlene Moore said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1EQbte2YLI
a doggy doo video created by a friend of mine......

Bastian Duo said...

Is it not better to have urinated in public than to have never urinated at all?

Darlene Moore said...

all I know is the older you get the harder it is to NOT urinate!

Moore Family said...

Dynamic duo...you have a point there